Monday, May 24, 2010

...."In My Walk With God"....week 2

WOW - this is going to be more challenging than I first thought!  Here it is the first day of week 3 and I just finished the last day of week 2.  But let me guess, I'm not the only one!!

In looking back over week 2 there was a lot of good stuff there.  Lysa gave us some good tips on different approaches on how to actually study the Bible, not just "studying the Bible study".  One thing that really struck a cord with me was on day 4 when she quoted something out of her book, "devotions don't have to be perfect to be powerful and effective." (p.66)  As most of you probably know I have a tendency to focus on trying to make everything "just right" so to be told that my devotion does not have to be perfect to be powerful is great comfort to me.  Lysa says that in order for Christ's Word to dwell in us, it has to get in us!  So maybe I should just focus more on "getting it inside me" and less on the method in which I do it.

But, as I sit here on my deck at 7:35 in the evening enjoying the squirrel behind me talking up a storm and crickets singing all around, I am reminded of the story of David and the waiting period he went through and the training he got during that waiting period and then how he was able to put that training to use when he took up that sling shot and stone and killed Goliath.  Maybe you are in your waiting period, if so look around you and see where God is working and join Him as he takes you through your training sessions.  In some areas of my life I too am in a waiting period but the story I want to tell you about now is about a waiting period I have come through.

I'll try to make this brief.  Back before 2008 I was in a waiting period and didn't even know it.  I served on a planning committee that was looking into starting Christian Women's Job Corps in Petal.  We pretty much prayed for about 4 years (the waiting period) for a site coordinator.  As most of you know Karen Byrd and I have been serving as Site Co-ordinators since January 2008.  I believe I can speak for both Karen and myself when I say that God had been preparing us for this Call through our everyday life experiences.  Little did we know that the everyday things we were going through God would use for His glory as we work with CWJC!  As Lysa puts it, "God can use the tasks of everyday life to develop my character to the point that it matches my calling". 

Well, that's it for this week.  Now I'm one day behind for week 3!  Oh, well!  If you think of something you would like to share please place a comment on my blog.  I would love to hear from you.  Thanks also for those of you who let me know that you are reading the blog.  I'm no Bible study teacher but just willing to share my thoughts with you.  Have a happy week.....and don't forget to do your Bible study....LOL

Believing God ~ Melinda

1 comment:

  1. Thanks Friend for your comments. It has helped me to have other people's perspective on this study. I know that I need to get into God's Word so it can get into me...interrupt my thoughts, change the way I handle everyday problems, satisfy my every need. His Word is about all these things not just learning facts about the Bible. I am learning that in this study....allowing His Word to get into me!!

    ReplyDelete